Make Links Open In A New Window

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Calling for Parental Support

School has been out for 23 hours at our house. The first five hours were spent at friends' houses and end-of-school parties, so they don't count. Then the oldest went to a sleepover and the others slept for a whopping 6.5 hours, so those don't totally count. 

Kids have been HOME from school for 11.5 hours. We have already done chores, threatened screen time, had four crying spells, two fights, five wrestling matches, 59 eyerolls... now 60, two tantrums, one plea to sell Ashton at the next yard sale, three jumps on the trampoline, one dog that is hiding, and now the television is on. I've given up. Less than twelve hours and I have waved the white flag and considered making a paper chain to count down the days until school starts.

Seriously. When does school start?

The four-year-old and the dog have already felt like their territory has been compromised. So do I. We are not comfortable with this invasion of our space. yet. I know we will get used to it and then we will all shed a tear when they go back to school full time. I can't imagine that tear will be very large, but every new school year I get a little sad and nostalgic for the freedoms of summer and the time spent together. So, I know it will come, but right now I am already looking forward to school again.

And this online world would have me feel crummy about my feelings. Everyone else is allegedly super excited for more time with their kids. I mean, I am excited for sleeping in as much as the next mom, but then we all wake up and have to figure out how to not kill each other until the next sleep.

But this is where I get on my blogging high horse and shout:

FRIENDS AND COUNTRYWOMEN,
WE NEED TO LIFT EACH OTHER UP AND SUPPORT THE OTHER LIKE A REALLY GREAT BRA. IF ONLY ONE CUP WORKED WELL AND THE OTHER BREAST WAS UNSUPPORTED, THE BODY WOULD LOOK SERIOUSLY WHACK. IT IS COMPLETELY OK IF YOU LOVE SUMMER. IT IS COMPLETELY OK IF YOU LOVE HAVING YOUR KIDS IN SCHOOL. DON'T FEEL BAD FOR NOT BEING LIKE OTHER MOMS AND DADS (AND WHO THEY PROFESS TO BE ONLINE). BOTH OF US ARE BOOBS, AFTER ALL.


Writing in all caps is annoying. 

So is reading all of these blog posts, online articles, FB status updates, insta photos with accompanying essays on how that specific mother/father loves being with their kids/not planning summer activities/planning killer summer activities/putting their kids in camps all summer long/being the best mother/father EVER.

I feel a little guilty when I see how other parents are so happy to have their kids home all of the time. They don't like sharing them with teachers and school. But then I remember that their kids have probably done something naughty in the last 24 hours or will very soon. Ahhh, I feel better. Kids are all stinkers sometimes. Even my amazingly amazing children.

I feel bad when I see mothers writing about how they aren't going to make anything off Pinterest for their kids this summer. Because that stuff is crazy and their kids should just learn how to use a garden hose, dagnabbit! I feel bad because the finger pointing is unnecessary. Some mothers like to make their entire backyard into a noodle haven and invite all of the kids over for homemade otter pops. That's totally cool. Why should we make them feel bad?

Support the other boob, yo!


If you are a mom like me that has started twitching in the last 24 hours and lets your kids watch Netflix so you can get in a quick nap (or write a silly diatribe on your blog), then HUZZAH! If you are a mom that has made a list of all of the things you want to do with your kids this summer, then HUZZAH! If you are a mom who has already bought a million toys so nobody is ever bored, then HUZZAH! If you want to make cookies all day, HUZZAH! If you want to only feed your kids spinach smoothies all summer, HUZZAH! If you want to garden with your kids, HUZZAH! If you want to go to work, HUZZAH!

HUZZAH to all you parents and fellow boobs. I do love these kids of mine and am excited for our crazy summer. But I am also totally cool saying, "OH BOY, this is going to be exhausting." I wish the same for you and yours.

a

PS--my friend and I started a little instagram account (@kidsaretheworst) where we can commiserate on the occasional awfulness of our children. You know, be real and laugh with some schadenfreude. Check it out:



4 wise comments:

Dayna said...

Feel ya sister....when does school start? All they do is make noise and eat. But...I did make a list of fun and creative things for them to do....with the nanny while I'm at work.

Jeramy Beals said...

On...The...Nose. Just received a text from Becky that she can't wait for school to start again.

Sue said...

There's always an adjustment period when summer rolls around, right? And I, for one, was always delighted to have my kids return to school in the fall. Not.one.bit.sad.

;)

Annie said...

I made Ryan stay home from work today for the children's safety! My Thursday meltdown was enough to make my children fear for their lives. Holy eye rolls batman. My 13 year old has mastered the art. Anyone who claims to LOVE having their kids around all the time is either completely delusional or lying. I'd suspect it's the latter.