Make Links Open In A New Window

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

what have I done?

I should have known when the hairstylist said it had been a while.


I should have thought when I saw the incredible amount of curlers on my head.


I should have realized that not one of the popular celebrity hairstyles of the past decade have included one of these.

Perms!


What was I thinking?

best picture I've ever taken.


I'll tell you what I was thinking.  I was thinking that with my hair getting longer and my arms getting more unreliable that I would either have to live with ponytails or cut my hair all off.  Remember this post?  Yep, THAT or ponytails.  And I had worked so hard (by doing absolutely nothing) to get my hair this long.


Since I knew my temperamental arms couldn't be counted on to do my hair everyday, I would have to figure out a way to ensure my hair would still look done.


I KNOW... A PERM!


(famous last words)


I'm baffled that I ever thought this was a good idea.  Someday I will laugh.  Oh, whatever.  I'm laughing now.  Incredulously.


On Sunday I looked around at all of the women at church and every one of them had straight hair.  Or some version of straight hair.  "What did I do?" I asked Alan.  "Maybe I'm starting a new trend."


And then I glanced over to the left--a few pews up--where all of the 80 +-somethings sit together.  There they were: my perm sisters.  I wasn't alone.  I'm not the only one in the world getting a perm, like I had thought.  And like all good trends, it'll make a comeback eventually.  I'll just be ahead of the pack.  Wearing my Doc Martens and flannel shirts.


Just you wait.


Three things:
1. $5 slip and slide
2. slight incline in the backyard to make aforementioned slip and slide more effective
3. this brownie recipe (a bit cakey, but I'll TAKE IT!)

a

12 wise comments:

jen said...

I wanted this hair so bad back in 1987. I could never have it. I'll be worshiping you from here!

Alycia said...

I had this hair in 1987! It's scary that my mom wasn't the only mom who let her six year old get a perm. Oh New Jersey...

I think curly hair is great, permed or natural or whatever. Wear it well!

Laraine Eddington said...

You're just copying the perm I got back in August aren't you? I'm so flattered. And seriously, it's going to change your life.

Anna M said...

Oh Laraine: I forgot! What did you do? How did you tame it? Zut alors

Helen Macfarlane said...

I'm so SICK of everyone having the same straight hair. You look great and it fits your needs. Work it!

Amy Y said...

I can't stop laughing. Not at your perm but at your writing about your perm. I love you for doing something drastic, admitting that it may or may not have been a mistake and being able to put it out there in the cloud and laugh about it. I admire you more than you can possibly know.

Angela Henrie said...

You are awesome! Hold your head up and OWN IT! If anyone can bring back the perm, YOU can. Besides, it will relax a little and then you'll probably be loving life.

Alan Macfarlane said...

Ummm, Anna, it's been like three days and it's already taming noticeably (just like the lady said it would).

So, you need to relax more than your hair. :)

Jen said...

I have always had straight hair. I had 1 perm in the 7th grade and never again.
You can start a new trend!
Bring back the curly perm and bring Trader Joes to Utah! How's that?
And all of our socks have holes too. Really, they do!

Heidi said...

I think you area hot momma! Who gives a crap what people think anyway! You are beautiful!

terese said...

I love it!! Hey if leg warmers can make a comeback then perms DEFINITELY can!!

I'm coming to Utah next week. We'll be there th 30th-5th. What's your schedule like? Do you think maybe we could get together? I'll talk to you soon!

seven smiles said...

I'm laughing because:
the woman I visit-taught today who happens to be 75, got a perm yesterday,

and,

because I have naturally curly hair that looks like a perm when I don't painstakingly blow it out and avoid humidity like the plague. (Which is impossible, given my current location...)

{misery loves company, welcome to the curly club by natural or unnatural methods...}

:)