Make Links Open In A New Window

Friday, January 8, 2010

Frankly, my dear

Last week I was out shopping with Rhett, and my sweet baby in a carrier created interest and adoration in many of the stores.

One such store had a very lively and colorful older man sporting a black sequined blazer. He wanted to see the baby and then appropriately ooh-ed and aah-ed. He asked me questions which somehow lead to him giving me his family stories and names. "And I'm Rhett Lane," he pronounced.

"Oh, your name is Rhett? My baby is named Rhett," I proudly exclaimed.

OH! MY! GOSH!

Older Rhett could not handle it. A baby named Rhett? Do I know how he got his name? Have I ever heard of Gone with the Wind (hello!)? Do I want to hear about his mother? And can he tell me about his old store that was called "Frankly, My Dear"? And, by the way, I MUST walk over to the Hallmark store immediately and take one of his ornaments that he has put on layaway and I MUST buy this keepsake for little Rhett.

Thirty minutes go by, no joke.

And I went to Hallmark like a good, little girl. And I told the ladies that Rhett said I could buy one of his ornaments and I did. And I love it.

This is what it looks like:

This is the gist of what the recording says when you push the button:


And yes, my kids have heard it over and over and know it by heart. Do they even know the end? Yes.

And frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn! ;)

THREE THINGS:
1. pancakes for dinner
2. a new stroller
3. napping with a newborn sleeping on your chest



a

5 wise comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, you never know who you will meet.`

Helen Macfarlane said...

I LOVE this story! And the man was wearing a sequined jacket - how fabulous!

I saw those ornaments before Christmas and fell in love. I love that you bought one.

Can you tell I'm feeling a lot of love today?

Anne said...

That's so cute. We have an older man at Church named William and whenever he sees Will he gives him a cute little pat on the back. It's fun.

I love the ornament. My mom has loved Gone with the Wind forever and indoctrinated me young so I do too. We have a bunch of those ornaments (even one of just Rhett) and my mom even has a Rhett mug that says, "Frankly my dear, I DO give a damn!" Your baby has such a fun name- now, more pictures!

The Driggs said...

I am in love with that story. And I love when older people tell you THEIR story. Just think, one day you'll be old (years from now) and you'll meet a mom with a baby Rhett and you'll share the story! (okay, maybe not). But, still so sweet and I love the ornament.

LaNell said...

Some people may think I'm crazy, but I LOVE RHETT! I always dreamed of finding a man like him, and in many ways I did. The most important being a man who truly deeply loves me, all of me. I feel fortunate indeed. I also get interesting looks when I say that I really admire Scarlett. They both have imperfections, just like most of us, but they also have some really admirable qualities. There is much to be learned from Rhett and Scarlett.

By the way does Maggie's name have anything to do with the author or is that just an added bonus?